Happy Sunday and Mother’s Day to all of you amazing mums!
Families be sure to pamper and flatter these special people, who we would not be here without.
It's Sunday morning and no better time to plant a seed of thought… We would like to share just a little about our natural farming practices.
A brief paragraph on Biodynamics.
- Biodynamics arose from a series of lectures given by Rudolf Steiner in Austria in the mid 1920’s.
- What emerged from these lectures provided insight and enquiry into a return to, and progression towards a more sustaining, biological approach to human agricultural systems.
- The foundation of knowledge in Biodynamics is about how plants and animals naturally function. With this knowledge, agricultural systems and practices have been developed which, when applied, result in healthy plants, people, animals, communities and farms.
- ‘500’ soil spray has life force, a biological inoculant. It is made by taking a cow horn and filling it with the manure from a lactating cow. The horn is buried in early Autumn, allowed to mature over the winter and then is uncovered and removed in the Spring.
- The contents are stirred in a particular fashion for 1 hour before being sprayed out over the land when the conditions are right.
- This may sound a little woowooo, but once we delve deeper into the science and practice of Biodynamics we experience true results of more biologically active soils and plants that express health and vitality.
Naia helping stir 500!
- Cauliflowers are available this week!
- Broccoli continues to be in abundance and should continue for the next 2 weeks.
- Greens are crisp and juicy, and carrots are super sweet.
A reminder that we will be putting the farm to bed for 1 month over June. We are off to see family and friends back in Canada and Europe, and to visit some farms that we have been connecting with.
Thank you for your support and we look forward to continuing to grow food for you all on our return!
Have a wonderful week, eat well and be well.
Falani, Olivier & Naia
“Eating is an Agricultural act“ - Wendel Berry
Our Packing Crew